Thursday 14 December 2017

The German Club, Woolloongabba

I love the German Club, and not just because I'm half German.

photo courtesy of The German Club

The German Club has been around for decades, and once inside, it feels like it. But I love that. The place offers a literal book of German beers both on tap and bottled. But my favourite part is the food.

photo courtesy of the weekend edition

My father, brother and I decide to celebrate their birthdays with a mid-week lunch.

Currently one of my favourite beers
GC (as I'll call it from here on out to save my letter count), has become very 'cool' lately and without a doubt this must be in part to the excellent meals, both in flavour and value. They are big! Like real big.

Their legendary 1kg Pork Knuckle beats most punters. I tried it once, but being the glutton I am, it just left me in agony for days after.


I start with the Crumbed Camembert Cheese $8.90. I only discovered it recently, but it is the best! It comes served with cranberry sauce and is divine just as it is, however, my brother and I have also discovered if you also order the garlic bread (which is spectacular also) and have them together like a garlicky cheesy pizza, it's just next level.


I've tried quite a few things on the GC menu, but I have to say, my go-to is the Pork Belly. Actually, any Pork Belly is my go-to just in general, but GC does a cracker. On the menu, it comes with fried potatoes, braised sweet red cabbage and sour cherry port sauce ($32), but I like to trade out the potato for spatzle (+$2).

What is a spatzle?

Spätzle (Swabian diminutive plural of Spatz, thus literally "little sparrows", also Spätzli or Chnöpfli in Switzerland or Knöpfle or Hungarian NokedliCsipetke or Galuska) are a kind of soft egg noodle found in the cuisines of southern Germany and AustriaSwitzerlandHungaryMoselle and South Tyrol.

Little sparrow noodles are very popular in the Southern part of Germany where my father's family still live, I think they are great.




As usual, everything on the plate is just perfect, the meat is moist and juicy, the crackling is crackly, the cabbage is in no way bitter and goes perfectly with the fatty meat, and my lovely spatzle are a perfect carby accompaniment. 



There really is only one down side to eating at GC, and that is, they have an incredible dessert menu, but I never have any room for dessert. 


Address416 Vulture St, East Brisbane QLD 4169

No comments:

Post a Comment