Monday 18 June 2012

GBK Edinburgh

 Young D and I had 2 things to do yesterday before we allowed ourselves an afternoon of drinking. Buy a jacket and change an appointment. Sensationally, we managed to do both really quickly, so all we needed was to fill our bellies. D suggested GBK or Gourmet Burger Kitchen and I enthusiastically agreed.

I knew what I was going to get before I even got there... the Kiwiburger (which I still think should be the Aussie Burger) and D wanted the Satay Chicken burger. We would split them and share.

The Kiwi Burger (which you may remember from my post in Liverpool) contains Beef, beetroot, pineapple, egg, cheddar... things that Aussies love on a burger.

Much to both of our disappointment, GBK have stopped their Satay burger, so we went for the Tokyo Jim: Chicken on a brioche bun, with asian slaw, Tokyo BBQ sauce and salad.

For sides, the chunky chips and onions rings. A Savannah Dry Cider for me, and a Budvar for D.

While anxiously awaiting our burger meal, we prepped our table with salt, pepper, CHICKEN SALT (the best invention in the world), and grabbed some peanuts to nibble on.

This was my first try of Savannah, and I have to say, it was really lovely. VERY dry (as says on the lable) but very drinkable.

Firstly our chips, onion rings and dips arrived. The onion rings were beautiful, the chips were not AS crunchy as they could have been. The menu says double cooked, but I don't think they were. Nonetheless, still delicious, and of course, with the addition of chicken salt- almost perfect.
I apologise for the dodgy pictures, I really struggle to get still shots from my phone.

Here is the Kiwi Burger... The king of burgers, even looking at these pics makes me happy.
Everything about this burger is perfect, the big chunky beef patty is juicy, the cheddar melted across it, the egg oozing through the cold and sweet pineapple and the lovely refreshing beetroot. I just want this burger everyday.
The Tokyo Jim. The chicken piece was massive, but cooked perfectly and not dry at all. The BBQ sauce had a lovely heat. In my opinion could have used something creamy, some mayo or a creamy soft cheese. I added garlic mayo dip to mine.

Our halvsies plate.
I love going halvsies with people. Not many people are all that keen on it, but I just love the option to try more things. Are you a sharer?

No comments:

Post a Comment