Thursday 19 January 2012

Petit Paris

This is a late post from when I went to Petit Paris, on Grassmerket a few weeks ago.

I was showing a friend from Australia around town on my patented 'See Edinburgh' tour, and after Carlton Hill and the Castle but before Greyfriar's Bobby we had a shocking hunger attack. Til we spotted the magical words 'Lentil Stew'. Ah man, I love those words.

I had walked passed this cute little French bistro many a time, but this is the first time I had gone in. It was lovely and pokey and Frenchy. We were lead to a table on the lower level, had the specials explained to us, and we were left to chose our meals.

I think even before we sat we both knew what we were going to order, in The Toulouse Sausage with Lentil Stew, but I perused the rest of the menu and decided on a starter as well.

Our drinks were brought out, as well as a basket of beautiful dence sourdough and baguette. I am trying to avoid processed wheat as much as I can, but the sourdough and butter was too much for me to resist.


I love that the wine came out in a tumbler, it felt so... 'humble french cafe'.

My starter was Poached Egg with Hollandaise.
The poached egg was cooked perfectly, and I was delighted when the bright yellow yolk oozed out. The egg was served on crispy croutons, and the hollandaise was rich and creamy, but not overly so.


The main of Toulouse Sausage and Lentil stew rang very German for me, and quite possibly why I was so drawn to it. The dish itself was very underseasoned but after salting it from here to tomorrow, I found it very tasty. I am used to having my lentils more 'stodgy' than this, but it was nice for a change. The sausages were a definate highlight.

This is a great little restaurant, and I am sure I'll be back. Esspecially worth noting is the fantastic staff: polite, helpful and very, very efficient. The customer service was definatelt 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment